SHIP SUNK--Perhaps one of the most horrible ways to die is drowning. History has given us information that shows many have lost their lives as the sea opened up to pull them to their watery grave. Sometimes death comes quickly and in other cases slowly, depending on the location, temperature of the water, and the type of person. Drowning comes when the lungs fill with water, thus cutting off the air, causing suffocation.
Do you know there are other ways of drowning or sinking besides in water? Let me illustrate. Many sink financially, sink morally, sink mentally, but the saddest and most tragic of all drownings is to do so spiritually. Just what causes people to sink?
1. CONSIDER OVERLOADING --A ship can carry so much cargo, depending on the ship's size and tonnage. To exceed its limit is dangerous. The man who sinks financially is overloaded with debt; the person who sinks mentally is overloaded in mind; the one who sinks spiritually without God fills his life with things of the world until the inevitable happens.
2. CONSIDER CARELESSNESS –The "Titanic" disaster, the Alaskan oil spill-these could have been avoided. Our lives are like a vessel, and many are careless in caring for their bodies. Sin always works to destroy the hull (our bodies) and will eventually put you on the bottom of the ocean floor of life. Romans 6:23, "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
3. CONSIDER PRIDE--Pride is especially dangerous in the area of calling for help. A good rule of thumb for a boatman is to always have a good means of communication (radios) providing an open line to other vessels and the Coast Guard. Many people sink without God because they just refuse to call. Proverbs 16:18, "Pride goeth before destruction...'.
4. CONSIDER THE STORMS OF LIFE--They abound for man and vessel. The waves of trouble and sorrow sink many who are self-made. Only God can build a people to endure the storms of life. Isaiah 25:4a, "For thou has been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm... ".
5. CONSIDER THE ENEMY--Satan is the enemy who finds it thrilling to destroy and sink lives. Only Jesus can give safety from the enemy of your soul.
What is your condition? No vessel can sink with Christ aboard. Without Him the inevitable will be said, "I'm sunk!", and the sinking will be in God's eternal lake of fire. Hold to the Cross-tree and call quickly! Romans 10:13, "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
Write to us and we will send other free helpful literature.
Fishers of Men Ministries